CAROLINE KYUNGA AHN, DM
Accomplished Music Instructor & Musician
MUSIC THEORY & COMPOSITION ~ CURRICULUM DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT ~ EAR TRAINING
- Award-winning composer, pianist, organist, music director and educator offering 10 years' experience in teaching music theory, history and composition; highly regarded for having an absolute (perfect) pitch.
- Adept at both individual and group instruction; taught music theory courses encompassing aural skills, keyboard, improvisation, and counterpoint writing.
- Presented with several awards and honors for achievements in music composition.
- Leverage advanced knowledge of music theory and techniques to write, compose, teach and perform beautiful works of music.
- Able to capitalize on a variety of instructional strategies to accommodate diverse needs, learning styles, and cultural backgrounds.
- Consistently foster a safe, secure and supportive learning environment to promote student growth and development.
- Able to develop highly effective lesson plans tailored to students' ability levels.
- Expertly cultivate and maintain unified relationships with teachers, parents, students and administrative personnel.
- Comissioned by TheClassicArt in Korea to write domumentary music of 'Four Seasons' in December, 2015
- Received a commission and grant from Indiana State University Arts Endowment Committee to write a piece for Cramped Spaces, ensemble of ISU in December, 2015
- Commissioned by Thegenbals Music Society to perform at Inframince concert series 2 in November, 2015
- Programmed at Indiana State University Contemporary Music Festival in Terre Haute in October, 2015
- Performed at Vincennes University Indiana at State Conference in September, 2015.
- Commissioned by Thegenbals Music Society to perform at Inframince concert series 1 which was broadcast by KBS in Korea in May, 2015.
- Three-time nominee for Best Instructor in Music Theory (Eastman School of Music and Indiana University).
- Appointed and currently serve as Chair of Commissioned Composer & Opus Composition Festival, Indiana Music Teachers' Association (IMTA).
- Chosen as a finalist for the 2014 Respighi Composition Competition.
- Selected as a Sioux Symphony Orchestra finalist for '2014 Composer of the Year'.
- Won the Donghak Civil War theme song composition competition in Korea in August, 2014.
- Received commission from the famous percussion quartet group IKTUS at the New Music Festival in Charlotte, NC, 2014.
- Commissioned by the Indiana Chamber group in 2014 for a string quartet and performed the piece at Meridian Hall, Indiana.
- Arranged two hymns published in Hymn for Him Volume 2 in 2014.
- Served as music director and arranger at the 2014 NAKS conference at the Marriott Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Commissioned by New York Classical Players with a performance in New York City for the 2012 opening season.
- Commissioned by 'The 3Beats' to write a variation set on a famous theme of 'Fur Elise' by Beethoven which was broadcasted on television in 2012.
- Commissioned by Carmel City to write theme music for the 2012 July 4th festival which was used in television and radio commercials.
- Composed chamber piece which resulted in a performance at the 2009 SCI national conference at Ball State University.
- Chosen as Miami selection for New Music Days as one of four finalists to represent USA at the 2009 International Society for Contemporary Music.
- Won 2009 Excellence in Composition prize for Brass Ensemble at the International Brass Chamber Music Festival in Kentucky and an honorable mention in 2010 by International Alliance for Women in Music for the Libby Larsen Prize for Chamber Orchestra.
- Wrote "7 Plagues" for string orchestra which was commissioned in 2003 by Kaeum String Orchestra.
- Received formal teaching from Richard Wernick (Pulitzer Prize winner), Claude Baker, David Dzubay, David Sven Sandstrom, PQ Phan, Don Freund, Robert Morris, David Liptak, Allan Schiendler, Steven Stucky, Giles Swayne, and Stacy Garrup.
- Taught a young novice musician to become a famous pianist and composer in Korea.
Founder, President - Sound of Hope, Non Profit Organization serving communities through music
Adjunct Professor- Music Theory 2, Aural Comprehension 4 and Private composition lessons, Anderson University, 2015 to current
Chair of Opus Composition Competition- Indiana Music Teachers' Association, 2014 to current
Chair of Commissioned Composer Program- Indiana Music Teachers' Association, 2014 to current
Adjunct Professor - Music Appreciation, Ear Training I & II, Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, 2014 to Present
- Design and teach three ear training courses and a music appreciation class on a full-time basis.
Church Pianist, Grace Community Church, Noblesville, IN, 2012 to Present
- Plan, prepare and perform beautifully distinctive music at the largest church statewide.
Music Director, Korean Embassy, Chicago, 2014
- Directed all aspects of a well-received National Day Concert.
Music Director, National Association of Korean Schools, Indianapolis, 2014
- Led the opening concert music for NAKS.
Freelancer Composer & Private Teacher, self-employed, 1996 to Present
- Taught and tutored students in music composition, theory, jazz improvisation, keyboard harmonization, and piano literature.
Assistant Instructor, Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, 2005 to 2008
- Taught advanced-level ear training, oral skills, sight singing, keyboard and basic music theory
- Formulated innovative curriculum and lesson plans for between 40 and 50 students
Teaching Assistant, Eastman School of Music, 2003 to 2004
- Designed and delivered an aural skills/music theory honors class, created original lesson plans and administered written and oral exams.
- Leveraged an advanced and fast-paced curriculum to facilitate instruction in music theory, keyboard harmonization, improvisation, oral skills and sight singing.
Graduate Assistant, Eastman School of Music, 2002 to 2003
- Applied dynamic organizational skills toward coordinating composition seminars and concerts.
Doctor of Music, Composition (minor in Music Theory and Organ Performance), Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, Bloomington, IN, 2011
Master of Music, Composition (minor in Music Theory and Piano Performance), Eastman School of Music, Rochester, NY, 2004
Master of Arts, Pedagogy in Theory, Eastman School of Music, Rochester, NY, 2004
Bachelor of Music, Composition (minor in Piano Performance), Yonsei University, Seoul Korea, 2000